Vinyl stickers offer a versatile and durable solution for branding and messaging across a variety of surfaces. Whether you're looking to enhance your shop window, label cosmetic products, or simply express your creativity, vinyl stickers are the go-to choice. This guide aims to provide you with a step-by-step process on how to apply vinyl stickers to ensure they stand the test of time.
Preparing the Surface for Application
Before you begin the application process, it's crucial to prepare the surface where the sticker will be placed. The surface should be dry, clean, and devoid of any dust or dirt particles. A smooth, clean and flat surface is essential for optimal adhesive performance. If you're applying the sticker to a window or other glass surface, you may use soapy water or a specific cleaning product for an extra clean surface. Just ensure the surface is completely dry before moving on to the next step.
Tip: For a more detailed guide on surface preparation, you can watch our how-to video.
The Application Process
Standard Vinyl Stickers
- Cleaning: Begin by ensuring the surface you are sticking your vinyl sticker on is clean and dust or dirt free. Although incredibly durable, vinyl stickers are made from a reasonably thin material that can easily show dust or dirt on the surface through your sticker, so it is vital your surface is completely clean.
- Positioning: Without removing the backing, align your sticker to the desired location.
- Peeling: Carefully peel the sticker away from its white backing, starting from one corner.
- Placement: Gently place the sticker onto your chosen surface, making any necessary adjustments.
- Smoothing: Use a credit card or a squeegee to firmly set the sticker in place, working from the middle out to remove any air bubbles.
Large Vinyl Stickers
For larger vinyl stickers, the application process involves a few additional steps to ensure precise placement:
- Initial Positioning: Use masking or duct tape to temporarily secure one end or corner of the sticker to the surface.
- Alignment: Use a level to make sure the sticker is straight.
- Half-and-Half Method: Remove the tape from one side of the sticker, fold it over the other half, and peel off the backing. Apply this half first, followed by the other half.
This technique is commonly referred to as the centre hinge method and is particularly useful for applying large vinyl stickers.
Additional Tips and Material Choices
Our static window cling is adhesive-free and best suited for smooth, flat glass surfaces. A light mist of water on the back of the sticker or the surface can aid in the application. If you're uncertain about which material and adhesive to use, we highly recommend ordering a free sample pack to test our products before placing a full order.
Applying vinyl stickers may seem like a daunting task initially, but with proper surface preparation and careful application, you can achieve professional results. Whether you're dealing with standard or large vinyl stickers, the key to a successful application lies in the details.
At Handy Labels, we offer a wide range of premium quality, custom vinyl stickers and decals with over 20 finishes. Choose from clear, matt, glossy or laminated, to create your personalised stickers today.