Choosing the correct sticker medium for your intended use is the most crucial part of the product labelling process. While it may seem daunting to decipher all the available options, our ultimate material guide should make the process easier.
In this blog post, we talk you through the following:
- How do you make a perfect label?
- What materials and adhesives are available?
- Eco-friendly Paper vs Waterproof Vinyl
- The Best Uses of Paper Stickers
- Paper Sticker Pros and Cons
- The Best Uses of Vinyl Stickers
- Vinyl Sticker Pros and Cons
- Paper Sticker Examples
- Vinyl Sticker Examples
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Final Thoughts
How do you make a perfect label?
An effective label consists of three main elements - size, design, and material.
Choosing the correct size seems like a self-explanatory step, but it holds more weight than you may think. A sticker that is too small leaves you with less space to provide relevant information. It may also mean you need to reduce your text/artwork size, making things difficult to read. On the other hand, a label that is too big makes your product look unprofessional and may cause the sticker to lift and curl from the unstuck edges. We've created a label size guide to help you ace this part on the first attempt!
Your label design is the first thing people will notice, so it is essential to make it impactful. Compliment your design with a custom shape to stand out from the crowd. Our artwork guidelines clearly explain how to provide a high-quality artwork file for printing.
The final, most integral part of the labelling process is choosing the right sticker material. Whether you're after a matte, gloss, or metallic finish, we can help. At Handy Labels, we understand the importance of getting the material right, which is why our helpful support team is on hand via our online chat, email, or telephone. Contact us today with your questions or request a free sample pack to test our material range.
What materials and adhesives are available?
To cater to most customer queries, a removable, permanent and extra-permanent adhesive is usually offered across their material options. A removable adhesive is used when you want your label to leave little to no residue on your product. Most printers will say a permanent adhesive is their "all-rounder" and works well for most uses. An extra-permanent adhesive is recommended for low-energy surfaces like some plastics and wood.
You can also expect custom mediums, whether it's static-cling window vinyls, metallic silver and gold vinyls, transparent materials or opaque correction materials. These are great for marketing premium/exclusive product ranges or making your goods memorable compared to your competitors.
Eco-friendly Paper vs. Waterproof Vinyl
We have all witnessed the rapid incline in eco-friendly packaging throughout recent years. This has put paper stickers at the forefront of buyers' minds, becoming a trendy alternative to the more durable vinyl equivalent. However, both material types have their benefits.
Depending on the finish, paper labels are usually recyclable and create an earthy, natural look. If you shop your paper stickers with Handy Labels, you can rest assured that you are doing good for the planet. We have partnered with the Woodland Trust to become part of their Carbon Capture Scheme. This allows us to mitigate the CO2 from the paper we use and donate to the Woodland Trust to plant new native woodland!
Whilst paper labels are usually better for the environment, they are less durable. This may mean more wasted packaging as sellers and consumers throw away their paper labels more frequently. Waterproof vinyl stickers will stay intact for many years, making them a reliable choice if you want your packaging to stay in your customers' homes for longer. In addition, they are a fan-favourite for more intense uses like cosmetic or asset labels. We offer a wide range of premium vinyl materials, including our laminated vinyl, which is water and oil-resistant, making it the most durable material option.
The Best Uses of Paper Stickers
Some of the best uses of paper stickers include:
- Product and Packaging Labels - promote your brand and create a cohesive product range.
- Birthday Stickers and Wedding Stickers - celebrate your special day the right way and make it one for your guests to remember.
- Coffee Labels - a premium roast needs a premium paper label.
- Flower and Florist Stickers - organise your bouquets for an event or brand your paper wrapping with your bespoke logo.
- Gin Labels, Whiskey Labels and Wine Labels - with custom stickers, your spirit and wine bottles will be displayed front-row in your customers' bar cart.
- Pantry Labels and Jar Labels - organise your kitchen and pantry with cost-effective, variable paper labels.
- Retail Price Labels and Stickers - display prices and special discounts on your goods.
Paper Sticker Pros and Cons
Paper Sticker Pros
- They are a low-cost method of labelling your products.
- In keeping with the wants of the modern-day consumer, they are an eco-conscious choice.
Paper Sticker Cons
- They are not waterproof and can tear/rip when removed.
- There are fewer finish options compared to vinyl materials.
The Best Uses of Vinyl Stickers
Some of the best uses of vinyl stickers include:
- Asset Labels, Tags and Stickers - track your company's assets easily with variable asset tags.
- Drink Labels - customise your beers, ciders and champagne bottles with your logo or favourite images for unique gifts.
- Candle Labels - vinyl stickers are the perfect choice for adding premium branding to your candle jars.
- Car Stickers - show off your personality or company logo.
- CBD Labels - customise your dropper bottles with laminated vinyl labels, and rest assured they will last for ages in your customers' cupboards.
- Die Cut Stickers - vinyl die cut stickers are supplied individually and are perfect for handing out at events or including in e-commerce orders.
- Cosmetic Labels and Soap Stickers - if you're looking for an oil-proof label, look no further than our laminated vinyl.
- Laptop Stickers - personalise your laptops with custom shapes and designs.
- Window stickers - static cling window vinyl is ideal for marketing special offers in your shop display.
- Water bottle labels - use our waterproof stickers to customise your bottles for a birthday party or corporate event.
- Sticker Sheets - contact our team today to discuss bespoke vinyl sticker sheet options.
Vinyl Sticker Pros and Cons
Vinyl Sticker Pros
- They are waterproof and durable
- They are tearproof and offer a level of UV resistance
Vinyl Sticker Cons
- They are made from plastic and are not as eco-friendly as paper stickers.
- Due to their level of durability, they are usually more expensive.
Paper Sticker Examples
Vinyl Sticker Examples
Label Material FAQs
What is labelling and examples?
Labelling is the process of adding branding and information to a product. For example, you can have waterproof labels for cosmetics and candles or paper labels for eco-friendly packaging.
What materials do you need to make labels?
There are many material options when it comes to sticky labels. Paper, white vinyl, clear vinyl and holographic vinyl are a few.
How do you make a perfect label?
We've made creating your perfect label super easy. Select your size and material, upload your custom design and place your order. We'll take care of the rest!
What is the purpose of labelling?
There are many types of labelling, all with different purposes. It is commonly used as a cost-effective, time-efficient way of branding product ranges and providing essential information to customers.
They can also be used for recreational purposes, for example, to customise thank-you gifts at a birthday party or to decorate laptops or mobile phones.
What things are to be considered in selecting a label?
When you're looking to order bespoke sticky labels, you need to consider the material they will be printed on. Choose a paper label if you need a cost-effective, environmentally friendly option. However, if a durable, waterproof sticker is a better fit for your use, a vinyl material would be required.
What type of sticker is most durable?
At Handy Labels, we offer laminated vinyl with an extra-permanent adhesive as our most durable material option. It is waterproof, tearproof, and oil-resistant. It will also last for years outside.
Is sticker paper or vinyl better?
Paper is the best sticker material if your intended use is not too demanding. They are also the most eco-friendly option. However, vinyl labels are waterproof and will last much longer than their paper equivalent.
Our Final Thoughts
There are many label materials, which is both a blessing and a curse for the sticker consumer. Of course, choosing the perfect option is up to your personal preference, but we hope this guide has supported your decision-making process!
Order your personalised stickers with Handy Labels today and use code NEW10 for 10% off your first order!